Magnolia Baptist Church began as Westside Baptist Church on October 20, 1950. The church was organized in the home of Mrs. Mattie Murphy at 109 S. 13th Ave. in Hattiesburg. A group of eight people, assisted by eight ministers, were present for the organization. Rev. W. A. Stonecypher was the organizing pastor.
The former property, 2000 W. 4th St. in Hattiesburg, was purchased January 21, 1951, and the first services were held in the original building on March 18, 1951.
On January 2, 1994, due primarily to the rapid westerly movement of the city of Hattiesburg, the church’s name was changed to Magnolia Baptist Church. On October 8, 1995 a new tract of land, for future development, was purchased in Lamar County. Construction of the new building began in November 1997, and the first services in the building were held April 19, 1998.
Greg Medenwald became the pastor of Magnolia Baptist Church in November 1975.